MUSHROOM CREAM PASTA WITH BRUSSELS SPROUTS
This lemony pasta is full of goodies like bacon, Parmesan cheese, mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. A creamy white wine sauce brings everything together.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 03, 2019
- 10 Brussels sprouts
- 3 cups rotini pasta or other short pasta
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped bacon or pancetta
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Cut off ends of Brussels sprouts; discard ends. Separate Brussels sprouts into leaves; discard cores. There should be about 2 cups leaves; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté bacon in a large deep non-stick frypan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove from heat.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Drain off excess fat from frypan.
- Melt butter with oil in same frypan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic and salt; sauté until shallots are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Return bacon to frypan. Add Brussels sprouts leaves and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add cream and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until cream mixture is slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and lemon peel; stir to combine. Add pasta and toss to combine; cook, stirring, until pasta is heated through.
- Serve topped with additional Parmesan cheese.
973 calories, 61.3 g fat, 36.5 g protein, 60.3 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fibre, 1641 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.