Nutmeg Scones with Ginger Butter
Warm spiced scones paired perfectly with zesty ginger butter.
Yield: Makes 10
April 29, 2020
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- Ginger Butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine first 6 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add sour cream and stir just until combined. Dough will be soft.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently 5 times. Roll out dough into a 4x10 inch rectangle. Using a knife, cut dough into 10 squares. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Ginger Butter.
254 calories, 13.4 g fat, 3.4 g protein, 28.4 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fibre, 339 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tbsp finely chopped drained preserved ginger
- 2 tsp syrup for preserved ginger
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together all ingredients until fluffy. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.