OLD FASHIONED SHORTBREAD
Everyone needs a classic shortbread recipe in their repertoire. This recipe for buttery shortbread isn’t fancy, but it sure is delicious.
Yield: Makes 32 wedges or 72 shortbread fingers.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Work in 2 1/4 cups flour, adding remaining flour gradually, if necessary.
- Lightly knead to form a ball.
- Cover and chill dough 2 hours.
- Divide dough in half. On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat each half into a 7 inch circle. With a fork, prick each circle to form 16 wedges; flute edges. Dough may also be rolled out 1/2 inch thick and cut into fingers or other assorted shapes. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 300°F for 30 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan and cool on racks. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
99 calories, 5.8 g fat, 1.1 g protein, 10.6 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 46 mg sodium