OLIVE OIL CAKE WITH LEMON MASCARPONE FROSTING
Olive oil is rarely used in baking, but this jam-filled cake takes advantage of its strong flavour. Complement the olive oil taste with a generous layer of our creamy Lemon Mascarpone Frosting.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (2%)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam, sieved
- Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Place sugar and eggs in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater. Using low speed, beat for 5 minutes. Using medium speed, beat for 5 minutes. Using high speed, beat for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, pale in colour and forms ribbons when flat beater is lifted.
- Whisk together milk and olive oil. Using low speed and beginning and ending with flour mixture, add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until blended.
- Pour batter into two greased 8 inch round baking pans lined with greased parchment paper.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, about 30 - 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks, remove parchment paper and cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread jam over top. Place second cake layer on top of jam. Spread Lemon Mascarpone Frosting over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
791 calories, 50.1 g fat, 8.5 g protein, 79.4 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fibre, 484 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 container (275 g) mascarpone (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp vanilla
Yield: Makes about 2 cups.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until fluffy. Add mascarpone, lemon peel and vanilla and beat just until blended. Do not overbeat.
296 calories, 27.8 g fat, 2.6 g protein, 10.3 g carbohydrate, 0.2 g fibre, 101 mg sodium