One Pot CHICKEN DRUMS WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
These chicken drumsticks are cooked on the stove with tomatoes, mushrooms and butternut squash. The result is a saucy and comforting fall meal that is great served over rice or with a dinner roll.
Yield: Serves 5.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
- 5 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp slivered basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and sear until golden brown, about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Remove from pot.
- Add onions and celery to the pot; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add squash, red pepper and mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, garlic, basil, bay leaves and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer, loosening any browned bits from the bottom. Return chicken to pot and add tomatoes. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 25 – 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
615 calories, 28 g fat, 52.8 g protein, 35.8 g carbohydrate, 7.3 g fibre, 1008 mg sodium