OVERNIGHT CRANBERRY FRENCH TOAST
This brunch casserole is perfect for Christmas morning. Soak bread and cranberries overnight in an egg and orange juice mixture before baking the next morning for a rich take on traditional French toast.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 8 - 10 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups homogenized milk
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- Icing sugar*
- Sprinkle cranberries and pecans evenly over bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on top, trimming to fit if necessary. Bread should fit tightly.
- Whisk together eggs, melted butter, orange peel, vanilla, ginger and salt. Whisk in milk and orange juice until blended.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 45 - 50 minutes. Serve with pancake syrup.
410 calories, 14.8 g fat, 15.2 g protein, 54.8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 626 mg sodium