PAN SEARED SALMON WITH CARROT LEMON GRASS BUTTER
This lightly seasoned salmon cooks up quickly on the stove. Top each piece with a round of our Carrot Lemongrass Butter, which will slowly melt from the heat of the cooked fish.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 6 salmon fillets with skin (about 6 oz/175 g each)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- Carrot Lemon Grass Butter*
- Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter with oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat.
- Place salmon, flesh side down, in frypan and sear until golden, about 4 minutes. Flip salmon over. Add lemon juice and thyme.
- Cover frypan and cook until salmon flakes easily with a fork, about 4 - 5 minutes; remove and discard thyme.
- Serve topped with Carrot Lemon Grass Butter.
282 calories, 15.1 g fat, 33.8 g protein, 0.8 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 288 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 tbsp diced shallot
- 1 piece lemon grass stalk (4 inch), crushed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf*
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp liquid honey
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Yield: Makes 1 log.
- Combine orange juice, water, carrot, shallot, lemon grass and bay leaf in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very soft, about 9 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard bay leaf.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a heatproof bowl, reserving carrot mixture and strained liquid. Reserve 2 tbsp strained liquid; discard remaining strained liquid.
- Place carrot mixture and reserved strained liquid in a mini food processor; process until lemon grass is finely chopped.
- Add butter and process until smooth. Transfer butter mixture to a bowl. Add basil, honey and cayenne pepper; stir to combine.
- Place mixture on a piece of plastic wrap. Using plastic wrap as an aid, shape mixture into a 1 1/2x10 inch log.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.
44 calories, 4.6 g fat, 0.1 g protein, 0.7 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 42 mg sodium