PASTA E FAGIOLI
Pasta e Fagioli is a hearty Italian soup — the name translates to “pasta and beans.” This soup is filling enough to serve as a meal with a nice piece of bread.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups rotini or farfalle pasta, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently and breaking up tomatoes, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand blender, purée mixture until smooth. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Reheat over low heat. Add beans, cooked rotini and parsley; cook, stirring, until heated through. Serve topped with croutons and Parmesan cheese.
258 Calories, 5.6 g fat, 11.1 g protein, 43.4 g carbohydrate, 7.1 g fibre, 573 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
If desired, 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil and 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano may be substituted for the dried basil and oregano in this recipe. If using fresh herbs, add them with the beans, cooked rotini and parsley.