PEAR CAKE WITH APPLE CARAMEL SAUCE
This dark and spicy cake is full of chopped pecans and shredded pear. It goes beautifully with our Apple Caramel Sauce and a generous dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk (2%)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded peeled firm ripe pears
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Apple Caramel Sauce*
- Sweetened whipped cream*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, oil, milk and vanilla until blended. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in pears and pecans.
- Spread batter in a greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 40 - 45 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on a rack. Serve cake with warm Apple Caramel Sauce and whipped cream.
427 calories, 21.7 g fat, 4.7 g protein, 55.2 g carbohydrate, 2.3 g fibre, 387 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and brown sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar and brown sugar are dissolved, about 2 minutes. Mixture may separate slightly. Stir in apple juice, cream and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve warm. May be prepared in advance and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Reheat over low heat.