PEPPER JELLY TARTS
The “shells” of these tarts are made of a spicy cheddar shortbread pressed into mini-muffin tins. Fill these tasty hors d’oeuvres with store-bought hot pepper jelly.
Yield: Makes 30.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup red pepper jelly
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together cheese, butter, paprika and cayenne pepper until blended. Stir in flour just until mixture forms a dough.
- Shape mixture into 30 small balls. Press each ball into a mini-muffin cup to form a tart shell. Spoon 1 tsp jelly into centre of each tart shell.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool in pans 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Baked tarts may be frozen for up to 1 month.
88 calories, 5.7 g fat, 2.3 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 82 mg sodium