PESTO PASTA PRIMAVERA
This springtime vegetarian pasta is full of asparagus, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. Finish it with some of our homemade Pesto Sauce.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup sliced asparagus (1 inch)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 1/2 cups penne or farfalle pasta, cooked, rinsed and drained
- Pesto Sauce
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Cool immediately in ice water; drain.
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in a large deep frypan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add asparagus. Stir in wine and cook, stirring frequently until liquid is almost evaporated, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add cream and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 – 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Pesto Sauce. Add hot cooked penne and toss to coat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
580 calories, 40.9 g fat, 14.4 g protein, 40.2 g carbohydrate, 3.1 g fibre, 471 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
Yield: Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
- Place basil in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Do not overprocess. Add pine nuts and garlic; process, using an on/off motion, to combine. Add Parmesan cheese; process, using an on/off motion, to combine.
- With machine running, gradually add oil through feed tube in a thin steady stream, processing until almost smooth. Add lemon juice and salt; process to combine. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.