PHYLLO VEGETABLE SAMOSAS
Samosas are traditional Indian pastries filled with meat or vegetables. We use store-bought phyllo pastry for this vegetarian version and stuff it with potatoes, onion, peas and Indian spices.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups cubed peeled russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- To prepare filling, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium frypan over medium heat. Add curry powder, salt, cumin and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Drain potatoes and add to onion mixture. Cook, stirring frequently and mashing potatoes slightly, until potatoes are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in peas, cilantro and lemon juice. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Brush top of one phyllo sheet with some of the melted butter. Lay a second phyllo sheet on top; brush with some of the melted butter. Cut layered phyllo lengthwise into 3 equal strips, each about 4 inches wide.
- For each strip, place 1/4 cup of filling 1/2 inch from bottom right-hand corner of short edge. Fold bottom right-hand corner of phyllo diagonally over filling so that bottom edge meets left-hand edge and forms a triangle. Fold triangle upward. Continue folding triangle diagonally and upward until end of phyllo strip is reached. Brush tops with some of the melted butter. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, melted butter and filling. May be prepared to this point and frozen for up to 1 month. If freezing, layer triangles with wax paper in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place triangles, seam side down, on prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown. If frozen, do not thaw before baking; bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with chutney.
209 calories, 16.4 g fat, 2 g protein, 14.5 g carbohydrate, 1.4 g fibre, 325 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.