Poppy Seed Spiral Rolls
Poppy Seed Spiral Rolls
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk (2%), scalded
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups poppy seeds, ground
- 1/3 cup liquid honey
- 2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water and 1 tsp of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Using the flat beater, stir in the milk, 2 tsp of sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, salt, egg yolks and 1 egg whites; stir until blended.
- Add 3 cups flour and beat thoroughly.
- Change stand mixer attachment to a dough hook. Add remaining flour mixture. Using low speed, beat just until dough comes together and forms a ball, about 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky, gradually beat in additional flour until dough comes together and forms a ball. Using greased hands, shape dough into a ball. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover poppy seeds with boiling water, let stand for 1 hour, drain well. Beat 2 of the remaining egg whites to stiff peaks; set aside. Combine well drained poppy seeds with honey, orange peel and vanilla; fold in the egg whites. Set poppy seed filling aside.
- Punch down and allow to double in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Grease two 9x13 inch baking pans and line with parchment paper.
- Divide dough in half. Roll half the dough into a 12x18 inch rectangle. Brush with 2 tbsp melted butter. Cover with half of the poppy seed filling, leaving a 1/2 inch boarder along the outside edge. Starting with a long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Cut across roll in 1-inch thick slices and arrange, cut-side-up, in one of the prepared pans. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until browned on top. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Brush tops with orange glaze and cool completely.
Nutritional analysis per roll:
143 calories, 5.7 g fat, 3.9 g protein, 19.4 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 98 mg sodium
Tip: Rolls can be frozen before the final rise. Place cut rolls in the pan as directed and cover. Place directly in the freezer. To thaw, take out of freezer and place in fridge 12 hours before needed. Bake as directed.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange peel.
- Combine all ingredients until smooth.
Nutritional analysis per roll with glaze:
170 calories, 5.7 g fat, 3.9 g protein, 26.2 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fibre, 98 mg sodium
Tip: This is enough to glaze one pan of rolls. Recipe can be doubled to cover both pans.