PORK ROAST WITH DRIED MUSHROOM CRUST
This gorgeous bone-in pork roast gets its earthy flavour from a rub made with dried mushrooms that have been ground down to a fine powder. Make more than one roast if you’re feeding a larger group.
Yield: Serves 3.
July 02, 2019
- 1 pkg (14 g) dried assorted mushrooms (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 lb (1 kg) bone-in pork loin rib roast, chine bone removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Working in batches, grind mushrooms in a spice mill or coffee grinder; set aside.
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides; transfer roast to a plate.
- When cool enough to handle, spread ground mushrooms evenly over roast.
- Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast until a meat thermometer registers 150°F, about 1 hour.
- Transfer roast to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will continue to rise during standing. The final temperature should be 160ºF.
690 calories, 43 g fat, 70.5 g protein, 0.5 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 625 mg sodium