PORK SOUVLAKI PITAS
Grilled pork souvlaki skewers are the perfect filling for a Greek-style pita sandwich. Pair this herbed pork with plenty of garlicky tzatziki.
Yield: Makes 10.
July 02, 2019
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp oregano, crumbled
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb (0.75 kg) boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 10 bamboo skewers
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 pita bread
- Store-bought or homemade tzatziki*
- To prepare marinade, combine lemon juice, oil, honey, oregano and garlic in a large heavy zip-lock plastic bag.
- Add pork and squeeze bag to coat pork with marinade. Seal bag and place on a plate. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Soak skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade.
- Thread pork onto soaked skewers. Sprinkle pork with salt.
- Grill pork skewers over medium heat on natural gas barbecue, turning occasionally, until pork is done, about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, remove pork from skewers; discard skewers.
- Place pork on one side of each pita. Top with tzatziki. Fold pitas in half.
417 calories, 19.5 g fat, 23 g protein, 35.9 g carbohydrate, 1.5 g fibre, 610 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.