This dark bread has all the comforting flavour of a nice wholesome porridge. We make it with cereal, molasses, whole wheat flour and several kinds of seeds. Serve it for breakfast or as a mid-day snack.
Yield: Makes 1 .
July 02, 2019
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat, rye and flax cereal
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp fancy molasses
- 3/4 cup warm water (100 - 110°F)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (8 g) active dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup roasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp millet
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Whole wheat flour, optional*
- Canola oil*
- Combine cereal and boiling water in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in molasses; set aside.
- Combine warm water and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, whole wheat flour, pepitas, chia seeds, flaxseed, millet, sesame seeds and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add cereal mixture, yeast mixture and 2 tbsp oil. Using low speed, mix until combined and dough comes together and forms a ball, about 5 minutes. Dough will be soft. If dough is too sticky, gradually mix in additional whole wheat flour, 1 tbsp at a time, until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Using greased hands, shape dough into a loaf. Transfer loaf to a greased 8 1/2x4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Brush top of loaf with additional oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let loaf rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped, about 35 – 40 minutes. Invert loaf onto a rack and cool completely. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
111 calories, 3.2 g fat, 3.1 g protein, 18.3 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fibre, 148 mg sodium
We used The Original Red River Cereal for the cracked wheat, rye and flax cereal in this recipe.