PRIME RIB WITH ROSEMARY BEET SAUCE
Prime rib is the king of roast beef dinners and this delicious herbed roast is guaranteed to please. We serve it with a unique sauce made with beets, red wine and fresh herbs.
Yield: Serves 12.
July 02, 2019
- 8 lb (4 kg) beef prime rib roast
- 1 1/2 tbsp herbes de Provence, crumbled
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup shredded peeled beets
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rub roast with herbes de Provence, salt and 2 tsp pepper. Tie roast with butcher’s twine. Place roast, bone side down, in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue roasting until a meat thermometer registers 140°F, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to prepare sauce, heat oil in a medium non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add beets, onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine is almost evaporated, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by almost half, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Force mixture through a sieve into a heatproof bowl; discard solids.
- Return strained mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine butter and flour.
- Reduce heat and whisk butter mixture into strained mixture. Whisk in rosemary, vinegar and 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer, whisking frequently, for 15 minutes; keep warm.
- Once roast registers 140°F, transfer roast to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand for 15 - 30 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will continue to rise several degrees during standing. The final temperature should be 145°F for medium-rare roast beef. Serve with sauce.
411 calories, 25 g fat, 39.5 g protein, 3.8 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fibre, 1042 mg sodium