A PUB-STYLE FONDUE
Cook this gooey beer-spiked cheese dip on the stove before transferring it to a ceramic fondue pot. Serve with cubes of bread or steamed vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or potato.
Yield: Makes 3 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark ale or beer
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon mix
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- Combine beer, mustard, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, cayenne and nutmeg in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk together cold water and cornstarch until blended; stir into ale mixture.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually add cheddar cheese and Velveeta cheese, stirring until melted.
- Transfer to a ceramic fondue pot. Serve warm with assorted steamed vegetables, french bread cubes or bread sticks.
232 calories, 14.8 g fat, 13.1 g protein, 7.4 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 585 mg sodium