PUMPKIN CREAM PUFFS
These pumpkin cream-filled puffs are a light alternative to traditional Thanksgiving desserts. Drizzle them with our irresistible Caramel Rum Sauce.
Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
July 02, 2019
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 6 large eggs
- 16 oz (500 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Caramel Rum Sauce*
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine water, butter and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add flour and stir vigorously until combined.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Mixture should come together and form a ball.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat mixture for 2 minutes to cool slightly. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating for 4 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Pipe mixture into mounds, each measuring about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, 1 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue baking for 18 - 20 minutes or until mounds are puffed and golden. Let puffs stand for 1 minute on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely on racks.
- To prepare filling, use medium speed of an electric mixer and beat together cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until blended. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip.
- Using a serrated knife, cut puffs in half horizontally. Pipe a generous 1 tbsp measure of filling into bottom half of each puff. Place top halves of puffs on top of filling. Cream puffs may be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Serve drizzled with Caramel Rum Sauce.
109 calories, 6.7 g fat, 2.3 g protein, 9.3 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 72 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.