PUMPKIN AND LENTIL CASSEROLE
This savoury pumpkin casserole is a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Use any winter squash in place of the pumpkin if you’d like.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cubed peeled pumpkin
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in lentils and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are barely tender, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, lemon juice, parsley and seasonings. Cook, covered, until pumpkin is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in green onion.
244 calories, 6.5 g fat, 13.3 g protein, 36.5 g carbohydrate, 11.7 g fibre, 344 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
Any winter squash may be substituted for pumpkin.