This classic quiche combines bacon, eggs, onions and Swiss cheese. We like making it with our homemade Foolproof Pastry.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- Pastry for a 9 inch single-crust pie
- Flour (for dusting surface)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook bacon in a medium frypan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove from heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain bacon on paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tbsp fat from frypan.
- Return frypan to medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9 inch pie plate, allowing for 1/2 inch overhang. Trim, fold and flute edges of pastry. Prick bottom of crust all over with a fork. Line bottom of crust with a piece of parchment paper and fill crust with pie weights, dried beans or raw rice. This helps prevent the crust from shrinking or puffing up during baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pie plate from oven. Remove pie weights and parchment paper. Prick bottom of crust all over with a fork. Continue baking until crust is light golden around edges, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a bowl. Whisk in milk and cream until blended; set aside.
- Remove pie plate from oven. Sprinkle bottom of crust with bacon. Top with onions. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over top.
- Continue baking until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
346 calories, 26 g fat, 17.1 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 264 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening, chilled and cubed
- 6 tbsp ice water
- 1 tsp pure white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Ice water, optional
Yield: makes 1 double or 2 single 9 inch (23cm) crust(s)
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together 6 tbsp (90 mL) ice water, vinegar and beaten egg.
- Gradually add ice water mixture to flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork just until dough starts to hold together. If dough is too dry, gradually mix in additional ice water, 1 tsp (5 mL) at a time, just until dough comes together.
- Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before rolling out.