Quick Cinnamon Buns
These cinnamon buns are faster to make than traditional ones that are prepared with yeast. They do not require a rising time.
Yield: Makes 8 cinnamon buns
April 28, 2020
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- All-purpose flour*
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- To prepare filling, combine brown sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, ginger and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Stir in 2 tbsp melted butter; filling will be crumbly. Set filling aside.
- To prepare dough, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Stir in buttermilk and 1/3 cup melted butter just until combined. Dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently 5 times, adding additional flour is dough is too sticky.
- Roll out dough into a 10x12 inch rectangle. Brush dough with 2 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle filling evenly over dough, leaving 1 inch border on one long side of the dough.
- Beginning at opposite long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion. Pinch seam to seal. Cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Place one piece, but side down, in centre of a greased deep 9 inch rouch baking pan with 2 inch sides. Place remaining pieces in pan, cut sides down, spacing evenly around centre piece. There will be spaces between pieces as buns will expand during baking.
- Bake at 425°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until browned and filling is bubbly.
- Cool buns in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
448 calories, 19.9 g fat, 6.1 g protein, 62.9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fibre, 471 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.