QUINOA PILAF WITH VEGETABLES
A pilaf is a side dish made with rice or other grains cooked in a flavourful broth. We use protein-packed quinoa for this version, along with fresh vegetables, herbs and pine nuts.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa is lightly toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add celery, red pepper, carrot and shallots; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in broth and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork. Stir in pine nuts, green onion, parsley, lemon juice and lemon peel. Serve immediately.
305 calories, 15.5 g fat, 8.9 g protein, 33.9 g carbohydrate, 4.8 g fibre, 219 mg sodium