These pretty pink cupcakes can be made with fresh or frozen raspberries. Top them with our Simple Butter Frosting.
Yield: Makes 15.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Simple Butter Frosting*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare raspberry syrup, combine raspberries, water and 3 tbsp sugar in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Force mixture through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl; discard solids. Measure out 3/4 cup raspberry syrup and set aside; reserve any remaining raspberry syrup for another use.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla until blended. Combine 3/4 cup raspberry syrup and cream.
- Beginning and ending with flour mixture, add flour mixture alternately with raspberry syrup mixture to butter mixture, beating after each addition until blended. Continue beating until batter is smooth and light, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling cups two-thirds full.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- Pipe or spread Simple Butter Frosting over tops of cupcakes.
388 calories, 18.4 g fat, 2.9 g protein, 54.2 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fibre, 235 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
Yield: Makes about 2 cups.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat butter until light and creamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until combined. Beat in cream and vanilla until fluffy and smooth, about 2 minutes. May be frozen.
86 calories, 4.7 g fat, 0.1 g protein, 11.3 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 39 mg sodium