REALLY LAZY CABBAGE ROLLS
Enjoy the comforting taste of classic cabbage rolls with a fraction of the fuss. We make it even easier by using store-bought coleslaw mix to put together this one-dish meal.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz / 398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tsp chicken or beef bouillon mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 6 cups coleslaw mix
- Light sour cream
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add beef, onions and garlic. Cook, stirring to break up beef, until browned, about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat. Stir in next 8 ingredients (tomato sauce through nutmeg). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 - 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is thickened Sprinkle half of coleslaw mix over bottom of a greased 9x13 inch (23x33 cm) baking dish. Spoon half of beef mixture over coleslaw mix and spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining coleslaw mix.
- Spread remaining beef mixture over top. Bake, covered, at 350ºF for 1 hour or until bubbly and heated through. Serve with sour cream.
707 Calories, 42.8 g fat, 52.3 g protein, 24.4 g carbohydrate, 3.4 g fibre, 834 mg sodium