Red Onion Jam
Your charcuterie board would not be complete without our Red Onion Jam. Easy to make and store, this jam is perfect to have a standby for the holiday entertaining season or any wine and cheese night.
Yield: Makes about 2½ cups
October 07, 2019
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- crackers or crostini*
- Heat oil in a large non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, thyme and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add sugar, vinegar, wine and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until onions are completely softened and liquid is almost evaporated, about 35 – 40 minutes. Cool completely. May be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Serve with crackers or crostini.
35 calories, 0.4 g fat, 0.2 g protein, 7.4 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fibre, 59 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.