RHUBARB STRAWBERRY SLUSH
This slushy drink brings together rhubarb, strawberries, apple juice and lemon-lime soda. Make the fruit mixture ahead of time so that you can easily put the beverages together once guests come over.
Yield: Serves 16.
July 02, 2019
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups halved strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups apple juice
- Carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, water and sugar in a large non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Purée mixture in a blender.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in apple juice.
- Pour mixture into a plastic wrap-lined 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Invert frozen mixture onto a cutting board. Remove plastic wrap. Cut frozen mixture into 48 cubes.
- Transfer cubes to a freezer container and freeze for up to 1 month.
- For each serving, place 3 cubes and 1/2 cup lemon-lime beverage in a blender; purée until slushy.
- Pour into a glass. Serve immediately.
101 calories, 0.1 g fat, 0.3 g protein, 25.3 g carbohydrate, 0.9 g fibre, 14 mg sodium