ROASTED BEET DIP
This bright red beet dip looks as good as it tastes. We flavour it with roasted garlic, lemon juice, cumin and chili powder. Serve it with pita chips or melba toast.
Yield: Makes 1 cup.
July 02, 2019
- 1 head garlic
- 2 medium beets, trimmed
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Cut top 1/4 inch off garlic head. Individually wrap beets and garlic tightly in foil and place in a baking dish.
- Bake at 400ºF until tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes for garlic and 1 1/4 hours for beets.
- Unwrap beets and garlic; cool. Peel beets and cut into chunks; place in a food processor.
- Squeeze softened garlic out of skins into food processor. Add remaining ingredients (lemon juice through chili powder) and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Serve with pita chips or Melba toast.
31 Calories, 1.8 g fat, 0.6 g protein, 3.5 g carbohydrate, 6.9 g fibre, 163 mg sodium