ROASTED GARLIC HUMMUS
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp sage, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pita wedges
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of skins.
- Combine roasted garlic, beans, oil, lemon juice, pine nuts, sage and salt in a food processor. Purée until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days. Serve with pita wedges.
73 calories, 5.3 g fat, 1.9 g protein, 5.0 g carbohydrate, 1.3 g fibre, 93 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
To prepare roasted garlic, cut the top 1/4 inch off each garlic head. Place each garlic head on a piece of foil. Drizzle each head with a little olive oil and sprinkle with thyme. Twist foil around each head to enclose completely. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 30 - 45 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic out of skins and purée. Roasted garlic purée may be frozen for up to 1 month.
White kidney beans are also known as cannellini beans.