ROASTED SQUASH AND SPINACH CANNELLONI
Cannelloni are tubes of pasta that are typically filled with ricotta cheese, spinach and meat, then baked in tomato sauce and cheese. This vegetarian version is filled with roasted acorn squash in place of the meat.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cups cubed peeled acorn squash (1 inch)
- 1 cup cubed red onion (1 inch)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce with herbs
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg (10 oz / 300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg oven-ready cannelloni tubes
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a rimmed baking sheet or line with nonstick foil.
- Combine squash, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl; toss until squash and onion are coated. Place squash mixture in a single layer on prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or just until squash and onion are tender and lightly browned; cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish; set baking dish and remaining tomato sauce aside.
- To prepare filling, place squash mixture in a food processor. Process, using an on/off motion, until well combined. Add ricotta cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese and egg; process until almost smooth. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Pipe filling into cannelloni tubes. Alternatively, filling may be spooned into cannelloni tubes. Place filled cannelloni in a single layer on top of tomato sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven. Uncover and sprinkle with provolone cheese and Romano cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until bubbly, heated through and cannelloni tubes are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
363 calories, 17.7 g fat, 23.9 g protein, 29.8 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 1132 mg sodium