- 4 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (2%)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Roasted red peppers, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Cook potatoes and onions in boiling salted water until potatoes begin to soften, about 10 minutes; drain.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly. Stir in salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Place half of potato mixture in a greased shallow 2 quart baking dish. Pour half of sauce over potato mixture. Repeat layering procedure with remaining potato mixture and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and roasted red peppers. Recipe may be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until potatoes are tender and sauce is bubbly, about 40 - 50 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
224 calories, 9.5 g fat, 5.7 g protein, 30.1 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fibre, 313 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.