- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) Romano beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can beer
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chili powder and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients (beans through salt) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
242 calories, 5.8 g fat, 8.6 g protein, 36.4 g carbohydrate, 5.4 g fibre, 671 mg sodium