SESAME HAMBURGER BUNS
Take your burger game to the next level by making homemade buns. This recipe can be used to make 12 large buns or divided into smaller portion to make up to 48 slider buns.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/3 cups milk (2%), scalded and cooled to 115ºF
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- All-purpose flour, optional*
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Sesame seeds*
- Combine cooled scalded milk and 1 tbsp sugar, stirring to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tbsp sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Place yeast mixture, flour mixture, cooled melted butter, oil and beaten egg in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater. Using low speed, beat for 5 minutes.
- Change stand mixer attachment to a dough hook. Add remaining 2 cups (500 mL) flour. Using low speed, beat just until dough comes together and forms a ball, about 5 minutes.
- If dough is too sticky, gradually beat in additional flour until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Using greased hands, shape dough into a ball.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Uncover and punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cut each half of dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Place balls 1 1/2 inches apart in a greased 12 x 17 inch rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly.
- Brush tops with beaten egg whites and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover pan with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Uncover and bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until buns are golden brown.
- Remove buns from pan and cool on racks.
216 calories, 6.3 g fat, 6 g protein, 33.5 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fibre, 256 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis
To scald milk, place milk in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, just until milk begins to bubble around edges. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
This dough can be used to make about 48 slider buns. Follow recipe directions, but shape dough into 1 1/4 inch (3 cm) balls and bake for 12 minutes or until buns are golden brown.