SHRIMP AND AVOCADO TEA SANDWICHES
These dainty finger sandwiches are filled with a mixture of shrimp, avocado, cream cheese, lemon and dill. Serve them at a formal tea party or as a light lunch.
Yield: Makes about 30.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 lb (0.375 kg) frozen peeled and de-veined raw shrimp, thawed and rinsed
- 1 cup diced ripe avocado
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices Rye Bread, 1/4 inch thick
- Cook shrimp in boiling water until pink and opaque; drain. Cool shrimp completely in ice water; drain. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Remove tails from shrimp; discard tails. Dice shrimp. There should be about 1 2/3 cups.
- Transfer shrimp to a bowl. Add avocado, oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, dill and 1/2 tsp salt; stir to combine and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, chives, lemon peel, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt and pepper until blended.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on one side of bread slices, dividing equally. Depending on size of bread slices, cut each in half or in thirds. Top pieces with shrimp mixture, dividing equally. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
49 calories, 3 g fat, 3.2 g protein, 2.1 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fibre, 105 mg sodium.
For a different presentation, 8 crustless white bread slices can be used instead of the rye bread slices. After being spread with the cream cheese mixture, cut each bread slice into 4 triangles and top each triangle with the shrimp mixture, dividing equally.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100°F - 110°F)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
Yield: Makes 1.
- Combine bread flour, rye flour, yeast, salt and caraway seed in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater.
- Add 1 1/2 cups warm water, oil and honey. Using low speed, beat just until combined.
- Change stand mixer attachment to a dough hook. Using low speed, beat until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 9x14 1/2 inch rectangle. Starting with a long edge, roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, forming a loaf. Pinch dough along edge to seal.
- Place loaf, seam side down, in a large parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Make angled score marks on top of loaf. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 40 - 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF. Whisk together egg and 1 tsp water until blended.
- Uncover loaf and brush top with egg mixture.
- Bake until loaf is golden brown, about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and cool on a rack. May be frozen.