SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
- 4 lb (2 kg) boneless pork sirloin or shoulder roast
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) beef broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Kaiser or hamburger buns
- Prepared coleslaw
- Cut pork roast in half crosswise. Rub both halves with seasoned salt.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, adding remaining oil as necessary. Place pork halves side by side in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- To prepare sauce, whisk together broth, barbecue sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and garlic powder until blended. Pour over pork.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting until meat is fork tender, about 8 - 10 hours. Alternatively, cover and cook on high heat setting for 4 - 5 hours. Transfer pork to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, if using high heat setting, decrease heat setting to low.
- Using two forks, shred pork. Return shredded pork to slow cooker and stir to coat pork with sauce. Cover and cook until pork is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Spoon pork onto bottom halves of buns. Top with coleslaw. Cover with top halves of buns.
369 Calories, 23.9 g fat, 26.4 g protein, 10.1 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 741 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
If desired, this recipe may be prepared in advance. After cooking pork, shred pork as directed in recipe. Transfer shredded pork and sauce to a shallow large baking dish. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes. Bake, covered, at 350°F, until bubbly and heated through, about 40 - 45 minutes.