SLOW COOKER RANGE CHILI
This comfort food chili contains beef, pork and bison, making it a must for meat-lovers. Everything cooks low and slow in the slow cooker, which lets the flavours really meld together.
Yield: Serves 10.
July 02, 2019
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb (0.25 kg) bison sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, crumbled
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Combine chili powder, paprika, oil, caraway seed, dry mustard, garlic powder, allspice and cayenne pepper in a large non-reactive bowl. Add beef, pork, bison and bacon; toss to coat meat with seasoning mixture. Add tomatoes, onions, tomato paste, carrot, yellow pepper, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaves; stir to combine. May be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours.
- Transfer mixture to a 6 - 6 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting for 1 hour. Reduce to low heat setting and continue cooking, covered, until meat is tender, about 7 hours.
- Uncover slow cooker. Add beans, brown sugar, salt and pepper; stir gently to combine. Cover and continue cooking on low heat setting until beans are heated through, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
467 calories, 21 g fat, 34.7 g protein, 37.7 g carbohydrate, 9.2 g fibre, 896 mg sodium