SLOW COOKER SAUSAGE AND BARLEY RISOTTO
Because of its high starch content, barley can be turned into a creamy risotto, much like the more traditional Arborio rice. It cooks up nicely in a slow cooker, in this case with sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Yield: Serves 6 - 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 lb (500 g) mild Italian sausage meat
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) pearl or pot barley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, crumbled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fennel seeds, crushed
- 3 cups (750 mL) canned chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- Place sausage meat in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring to break up sausage meat, until browned and completely cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add next 6 ingredients (barley through fennel seeds); cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Spoon mixture into a greased 6 quart (6 L) slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting for 3 1/2 - 4 hours or until barley is tender.
393 calories, 10.1 g fat, 4.1 g protein, 72.7 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fibre, 291 mg sodium