SLOW COOKER SOUTHWESTERN BEEF STEW
The slow cooker is the perfect vehicle for this stew. The beef gets nice and tender and the slow simmer lets the Southwestern flavours blend together.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 2 lb (1 kg) boneless beef chuck steak, cubed
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups frozen kernel corn, thawed
- 1 can (19 oz / 540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz / 540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Combine first 7 ingredients (beef through black beans) in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 - 7 hours or until beef is tender.
- Increase to high heat setting. Whisk together flour and water until smooth. Stir into stew. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until stew is thickened. Stir in cilantro. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
593 calories, 12.4 g fat, 59.2 g protein, 62.4 g carbohydrate, 11.2 g fibre, 1492 mg sodium