SMOKY GRILLED STEAK AND ROMAINE SALAD
This entrée-sized salad combines grilled and sliced flank steak with crisp romaine lettuce. The smokiness comes from the liquid smoke in our Smoky Tomato Dressing.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 1 tbsp packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 1/2 lb (0.75 kg) flank steak
- 3 romaine hearts
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Smoky Tomato Dressing*
- Preheat natural gas barbecue on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.
- To prepare rub, combine brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, pepper, cayenne pepper and celery seed. Spread rub over both sides of steak. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Grill steak to medium rare, about 15 - 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Using a sharp knife held at a 45° angle, slice steak against the grain into thin slices. Transfer steak to a platter and cover with foil; set aside.
- Cut romaine hearts in half lengthwise. Lightly brush oil evenly over both sides of romaine heart halves.
- Grill romaine heart halves over high heat on barbecue until warmed and lightly browned on both sides, about 1 - 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, place 1 romaine heart half on each of 6 individual serving plates. Add steak to plates, dividing equally. Drizzle romaine and steak with Smoky Tomato Dressing.
256 calories, 13.7 g fat, 24.8 g protein, 9.5 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fibre, 459 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 1 Roma tomato, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp drained capers
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Combine tomato, oil, sugar, garlic, liquid smoke, salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a blender. Add mayonnaise and vinegar; purée until smooth. Add parsley and capers; purée until almost smooth. May be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Stir before using.
68 calories, 7.2 g fat, 0.1 g protein, 1.1 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fibre, 102 mg sodium