SMOKY VEGETARIAN CHILI
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic until tender; sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and chipotle peppers. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. 6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
calories, 229 calories, 3.2 g fat, 12.4 g protein, 40.6 g carbohydrate, 11.1 g fibre, 606 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
Hot peppers cause severe skin and eye irritation. Wear disposable gloves when handling hot peppers and avoid touching any exposed skin.