Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
These chewy molasses cookies are packed full of holiday spices and are the perfect addition to a festive tray of baking.
Yield: Makes 3 dozen cookies
November 25, 2020
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fancy molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Golden granulated sugar crystals*
- Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until caramel coloured. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Using low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended. Chill dough in freezer for 1 hour or just until firm.
- Shape 2 tbsp measures of dough into balls. Roll balls in sugar crystals. Place balls 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 - 17 minutes or until tops of cookies are crackled and centres are just set.
- Let cookies stand for 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets and cool cookies on racks.
- Store, layered with wax paper, in an airtight container for up to 1 week. May be frozen.
200 calories, 8 g fat, 2.1 g protein, 30.4 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fibre, 226 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.