SOUTHWESTERN VEGETARIAN LASAGNA
Layer black beans, corn, tomato sauce, cheese and salsa between lasagna noodles to create this spicy vegetarian entrée.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 cup medium salsa
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (7 1/2 oz/213 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 7 oven-ready lasagna noodles, broken in half
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded marble cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin and oregano. Spread 3/4 cup of salsa mixture over bottom of a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Cover with a single layer of halved noodles, breaking to fit as necessary.
- Combine beans, corn and green onions. Spoon half of bean mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Repeat layering procedure with 3/4 cup salsa mixture, noodles, remaining bean mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with 3/4 cup salsa mixture. Cover with a single layer of remaining noodles. Spoon remaining salsa mixture over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Press down lightly to pack lasagna slightly. Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Bake, covered, until noodles are tender and lasagna is heated through, about 45 - 55 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
585 calories, 20.9 g fat, 30.8 g protein, 72.1 g carbohydrate, 15.1 g fibre, 1334 mg sodium
Oven-ready lasagna noodles are sometimes referred to as no-boil or instant lasagna noodles. They do not need to be cooked prior to assembling the lasagna.