SPICED CRANBERRY JAM
This easy jam is flavoured with cinnamon and nutmeg. Use it on a toast or as an alternative to traditional cranberry sauce at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Yield: Makes 5 cups.
July 02, 2019
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole nutmeg or 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- Place cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves on a piece of cheesecloth. Gather cheesecloth around spices to form a sachet and tie with butcher’s twine; set aside.
- Combine cranberries and apple juice in a non-reactive Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium heat, mashing cranberries occasionally with a potato masher.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring and mashing occasionally, until cranberries pop and mixture thickens, about 10 - 12 minutes. Add sachet and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 - 2 minutes. Add sugar and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard sachet.
- Ladle jam into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a narrow rubber spatula or plastic knife. If necessary, add additional jam to maintain headspace. Wipe jar rims thoroughly with a clean damp cloth.
- Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at all altitudes in Alberta.
43 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g protein, 11.3 g carbohydrate, 0.4 g fibre, 0 mg sodium