SPICY OVEN BARBECUED CHICKEN
These saucy chicken thighs have all the flavour of barbecued meat, but are baked in the oven. Serve them with rice or potatoes and your favourite vegetable side dish for an easy but delicious dinner.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Sauce may be prepared and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large non-reactive baking pan. Do not overcrowd pan. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, basting occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 1 1/4 hours.
410 calories, 8.3 g fat, 40.1 g protein, 41.8 g carbohydrate, 1.3 g fibre, 743 mg sodium
If desired, 8 - 10 bone-in skinless chicken breasts may be substituted for thighs.