Spiked Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
After a day out in the snow, this beverage will be sure to warm you up. Not too sweet, this rich dark chocolate drink can be a treat for the whole family or with a splash of coffee liqueur it will become your new favourite winter cocktail.
Yield: Makes about 8 cups
November 25, 2020
- 8 cups milk (2%)
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved crosswise
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coffee liqueur, optional*
- Whisk together milks and cocoa in a large pot. Add cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally, over medium heat. Reduce heat to low.
- Allow cinnamon to infuse for 10 – 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Increase heat to medium-low. Add chocolate and vanilla. Whisk until chocolate is melted and incorporated.
- Do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in coffee liqueur. Serve immediately.
376 calories, 14.7 g fat, 13.3 g protein, 49.7 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fibre, 180 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.