SPINACH AND CHEESE CANNELLONI
These pasta tubes are stuffed with frozen spinach and ricotta cheese. The sauce for this baked vegetarian dish is made with passata, a jarred tomato purée.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1 bottle (720 mL) passata
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp basil, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 24 oven-ready cannelloni tubes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To prepare sauce, combine passata, water, parsley, basil, red pepper flakes and garlic. Spread 1/2 cup sauce evenly over bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish; set remaining sauce aside.
- To prepare filling, combine spinach, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Pipe filling into cannelloni tubes. Alternatively, spoon filling into cannelloni tubes using a small spoon.
- Place filled cannelloni in a single layer on top of sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, covered, until bubbly and heated through and cannelloni tubes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven. Remove foil; place baking dish under broiler. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
335 calories, 14.4 g fat, 21.6 g protein, 33.8 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fibre, 385 mg sodium
Passata, sometimes labelled strained tomatoes, is a tomato puree that has been strained to remove the seeds. It is bottled in jars and is available in Italian markets and some grocery stores. If unavailable, use a tomato-based pasta sauce; do not use tomato paste.
We used Catelli Express Oven-Ready Cannelloni in this recipe. These cannelloni tubes do not need to be cooked prior to filling.