SPINACH SALAD WITH APPLE AND FETA
Baby spinach, apple slices and crumbled feta go together beautifully in this green side salad. We dress it with a herbed Dijon vinaigrette and our homemade Candied Walnuts.
Yield: Serves 8.
July 02, 2019
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 red apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Candied Walnuts
- To prepare dressing, whisk together vinegar, green onion, parsley, mustard, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic until combined. Gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Combine spinach, apple and cheese in a bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Candied Walnuts. Serve immediately.
83 calories, 5.7 g fat, 2.3 g protein, 5.9 g carbohydrate, 1.4 g fibre, 205 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup walnut pieces
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine sugar and water in a bowl. Stir until most of sugar is dissolved; sugar will not dissolve completely. Add walnut pieces and toss to coat. Transfer walnuts to a greased 9 inch square baking pan.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until liquid is evaporated and walnuts are lightly toasted and glazed, about 20 minutes; cool. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Use as a topping for salads.