STEAK AU POIVRE WITH BRANDY CREAM SAUCE
Peppercorn steak is a dinner classic. We make this version particularly special by serving it with a creamy brandy and Dijon mustard sauce.
Yield: Serves 6.
July 02, 2019
- 6 thick beef tenderloin steaks
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Press crushed peppercorns evenly onto each side of steaks.
- Melt butter with oil in large heavy frypan over medium heat. Add steaks and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a platter; keep warm.
- To prepare sauce, add onion and garlic to pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in brandy, stock and mustard. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 - 7 minutes. Stir in salt. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.
395 calories, 26.8 g fat, 31.1 g protein, 3.9 g carbohydrate, 0.8 g fibre, 204 mg sodium