STICKY TOFFEE PUDDINGS
These individual desserts are baked up in muffin pans. Top them with an irresistible toffee sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: Makes 12.
July 02, 2019
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced pitted dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine water and dates in a small non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until dates are softened. Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries and baking soda; cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together 1/3 cup butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat just until blended, about 1 minute. Stir in date mixture. Spoon batter into greased muffin cups, filling cups three-quarters full.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, about 12 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare sauce, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter and cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 7 - 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp salt; set aside.
- Cool puddings in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place, top side down, on individual dessert plates. Serve warm with sauce and whipped cream.
314 calories, 13.3 g fat, 2.4 g protein, 48.4 g carbohydrate, 1.1. g fibre, 399 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.