STOVE TOP LASAGNA
This comforting “lazy lasagna” is a mixture of broken lasagna noodles, bulk Italian sausage, tomato sauce and cheese. The whole thing cooks up on the stove in a single pot.
Yield: Serves 4.
July 02, 2019
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 oz /398 mL) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (7 1/2 oz/213 mL) tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp basil, crumbled
- Dash red pepper flakes, optional
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, onions and garlic, stirring to break up sausage, until sausage is browned and cooked through. Drain off excess fat.
- Add chicken broth, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in broken lasagna noodles. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until noodles are tender, about 30 - 35 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
556 calories, 19.4 g fat, 42.1 g protein, 53.4 g carbohydrate, 4.6 g fibre, 1564 mg sodium
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis.